The Best Einkorn Flour Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you love chocolate, and have been looking for a delicious cookie make with healthier ingredients, you will love this recipe. Einkorn flour Double Chocolate Chip Cookies are made with Einkorn Flour, coconut sugar, and cacao powder. This recipe has become my go-to cookie recipe because they are better than traditional Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Better because they are healthier, and better because they taste like fudgy bakery cookies with a perfect light crispy exterior, and soft center.
Why Einkorn Flour?
Einkorn flour is one of the oldest grains in existence. It contains only two sets of chromosomes and is the only wheat never to be hybridized. Modern wheat has been hybridized to improve yields.
Modern wheat has also been destroying the health of many people (read the book, “Wheat Belly” by William Davis, MD). I know I feel my best if I stay away from bread altogether.
Reluctantly I tried Einkorn flour and am so glad I did. Bread can now occasionally be enjoyed without the suffering.
Even if you don’t have issues with modern wheat, please try these, they may just become your new favorite cookie! If this flour is new to you, you might like to read more about it here.
Practice makes Perfect
I’ve tried for years to make gluten-free cookies that would fool the non-gluten free people in my life.
I’ve come close a few times but never could achieve a cookie that tastes as good or better than the best chocolate chip cookie made with white flour and sugar.
Although Einkorn flour is not gluten free, it doesn’t negatively affect me the way regular white or wheat flour does.
If you are gluten sensitive, give it a try. It is not recommended for those with celiac disease. I am excited to share with you a healthier cookie that hopefully won’t leave you feeling ill like a regular white flour/white sugar cookie would.
No White or Brown Sugar
And you won’t notice!
I love to use Coconut sugar in baking. Coconut sugar is comparable to cane sugar regarding taste and performance. As a bonus, it has the most minerals, vitamins, and trace nutrients of any other sugar.
It can take a little adjusting to get it “sweet enough” so don’t be afraid to add a tablespoon or two if you want to add sweetness. Hopefully you won’t notice that this cookie recipe is a little healthier. More Einkorn Recipes!
Stock up on the ingredients so you can make them anytime!
Here are the exact brands that I use to make this cookie perfect. I tried a different almond butter once, and it wasn’t as good. You will definitely want a runnier variety of Almond Butter, not the dry no-stir kind.
- Einkorn Flour 2 pack
- Einkorn Flour 5 pack
- Einkorn Flour 10 pounds
- Dagoba Cacao Powder 8 oz.
- Dagoba Cacao Powder pack of 3
- Marantha Raw Almond Butter (note-You can usually find this at most grocery stores cheaper, I haven’t found a great affordable option on Amazon yet, but I want to include the link for reference)
- Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
- Coconut Sugar (or whatever your local grocery store brand is, I also like simple truth organic from Kroger’s)
Makes 10-12 Cookies, recipe can be doubled.
Einkorn Flour Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 11/8 CupAll Purpose Einkorn Flour
- 1/2tsp.Baking soda
- 3tbsp.Dagoba Cacao Powder
- 8tbsp.Unsalted Butter
- 3/4cupCoconut Sugar+2 tbsp.
- 3tbsp.Almond Butter
- 1cupChocolate Chips
- First, Combine the flour, baking soda and Cacao powder in a large mixing bowl.
- Next, cut the butter into 1 tbsp. chunks and melt in a large saucepan over medium heat. Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the coconut sugar, salt, vanilla, almond butter and egg.
- Mix thoroughly and add to the dry ingredients. Stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in the chocolate chips and nuts.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours, overnight is best.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- These cookies bake the best on an air pan with parchment paper.
- Scoop tall rounded Tbsp. onto the cookie sheet and place 3 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-15 mins. until they no longer look wet on top. Do not overbake.
- Remove from the oven and leave them on the cookie sheet for a few minutes to firm up.
- Once they can be moved, place them on a rack to cool completely. Enjoy!!