This easy recipe for Green Chile Bacon Quiche is so delicious and very versatile. Quiche is perfect for Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch or Dinner.
If you prefer a crustless version this recipe may be adapted by simply omitting the crust. Doing so would make it keto-friendly, gluten-free and low-carb. You can even make mini quiches for lunch or brunch.
Green Chile Bacon Quiche is only one combination to try
You will love that there are so many combinations that can be used with this basic recipe.
- Use Corn in place of the bacon for a delicious vegetarian option.
- Jalapenos and Cheddar
- Sausage can replace the bacon
- Ham and Cheddar Cheese
- Spinach and Feta cheese
- Tomato and Basil
- Tomato and Onion
- Tomato and Fresh Spinach
Any combintaion you love, or have in the fridge will work. Just try to keep the quantities of ingredients similar, so everything fits in your pie or casserole dish. The pie shell should be filled about 3/4 full.
A 10″ pie shell or deep pie shell are recommended. If you only have an 8″ shell, use one less egg, and adjust the quantities slightly so everything fits. It is practically foolproof.
Be sure to watch the recipe video at the bottom of this post!
Keep reading if you haven’t mastered a creamy, flavorful quiche of your own yet, and I’ll show you a few tricks to make the best quiche ever.
In the winter months, which is about half of the year where we live, we do almost all of our cooking on our wood cook stove. Of course, if you don’t have one, just use your regular stove/oven.
How to assemble Green Chile Bacon Quiche
The first step is to cook the bacon. While the bacon is cooking, combine the eggs, heavy whipping cream (you can substitute 3/4 cup half & half and 1/4 cup of milk for the 1 cup of whipping cream) salt, garlic powder, cumin and black pepper in a mixer, or whisk by hand.
Homemade or Frozen Crust, or make it Crustless
Some prefer to bake the crust for 10-15 mins. before adding the rest of the ingredients. I never do, and my crust is never soggy, but if you feel like this could be an issue with the type of crust you use, go ahead and bake it for around 10 minutes.
Pierce the bottom of the crust several times with a fork to prevent the crust from bubbling up.
The way the quiche is layered makes a big difference in the taste and texture.
- Add one cup of cheese to the bottom of the crust
- Next add the layer of bacon
- Now the green chiles, canned Hatch green chiles are fine
- Next another cup of cheese.
- Add the egg mixture over the top.
- The next step makes a huge difference, so don’t skip it!
After you pour the egg mixture in, most of the top layer of cheese will float to the top. If you leave it that way, the cheese over cooks, creating a burnt cheese taste, color and texture on the top of the quiche.
Take a fork and push the cheese under the egg mixture. Your quiche will still brown nicely on top, but most of the cheese will remain creamy.
Baking at a lower temperature for a bit longer creates a nice creamy texture.
I find that if baked over 350°, the eggs tend to be firm and rubbery. No one likes firm rubbery eggs. Bake at 325° for 45-60 minutes.
Allow the quiche to cool 15 minutes before cutting. This also allows the flavors to blend nicely.
Serve with a salad and fruit. Enjoy!
Leave a comment to let me know what combination you used and how it turned out for you. Enjoy!
Green Chile Bacon Quiche Recipe
- 1cupHeavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2tspSea Salt
- 1/4tspGarlic Powder
- 1/8tspBlack Pepper
- 2cupsCheddar Cheese, shredded
- 2Small Cans mild green chiles
- 1pkg. Bacon
- 1Frozen Pie Crust
- Preheat the oven to 325°Cook the bacon in a large pan to desired crispness. Keep in mind that the bacon will continue to bake in the Quiche for up to an hour, so slightly undercooked works great.
- In mixer or by hand whisk 5 eggs, 1 cup heavy whipping cream, salt, cumin, garlic powder and black pepper.
- Place 1 cup of the shredded cheese in the bottom of the pie crust.
- Layer bacon crumbled or in strips on top of the cheese.
- Next layer two small cans of mild green chiles over the bacon.
- Add the second cup of shredded cheese over the green chiles.
- Pour the egg mixture on top of everything, remembering to press the cheese that has floated to the top back under the egg mixture with a fork.
- Bake at 325° for 45-60 minutes, being careful not to overbake. The finished texture will be creamy, but fully cooked.